Image Map

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chicken Soup for the...Cold


It's that time of year again...when I get a random text in the middle of the day from my husband...and he thinks he's getting a cold.   I know exactly what he will say next, but I bite..and respond by saying "I'm sorry you don't feel well...is there anything I can do to help??"  He then replies..."Can you make your homemade chicken soup...please?"  Of course...I'm already making my grocery list... So, I fulfill my wifely duty and stop by the grocery on my way home to get what I need...Firstly, because I'm nice...and I care, secondly because we all know what men are like when they are sick, and if there's anything I can do to speed up the healing process of this cold...I'm on it!!

I only make this recipe a few times a year...I've had people ask me how I make it, but I don't know what to tell them because it is one of those recipes where I never measure anything...I just throw everything in a pot...and to be honest..it's never the same.  On my way to the store today I decided I would write down the steps, so I could have an actual written recipe to share.  Chicken soup is chicken soup...anyone can make it...I don't recall ever tasting any I disliked.  Each time I make it for Kyle he says it is the best I've made yet...so I guess I'm doing something right...and I think it really does make you feel better when you are a little under the weather...

Many years ago I used to make my own chicken stock. Now that I'm a Mom and a wife I tend to go the easiest route when cooking...you can still make your own stock with this recipe, but I find it much simpler to use a chicken someone else cooks...and rig up my own stock...no one will know the difference...and you'll have much more time to get the laundry done, pay the bills...help your kids with their homework...or..just sit down and relax for a few minutes..





Ingredients

1 whole cooked chicken, chopped (will make approximately 3-4 cups)
32 oz chicken broth
8 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
1 .49 oz packet concentrated chicken broth
1 can 10 3/4 oz cream of chicken soup
1/2 teaspoon pepper
chopped carrots
chopped celery
fresh parsley, chopped, and a few leaves set aside for garnish
Extra wide egg noodles


In a large stock pot combine chicken broth, water, bouillon, concentrated broth packet, and whisk in cream of chicken soup.  Let it set on medium heat while you are chopping chicken and vegetables. 

A good pair of kitchen shears will be your best friend for this recipe..if you don't have any..get some...trust me!






Add chicken, vegetables, and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.  Add desired amount of egg noodles, and parsley.  Cook until the noodles are tender.  








Serve hot..garnish with fresh parsley...







As with any soup this can sit for hours, and still taste delicious...or you can have it ready to serve in less than an hour...That is completely up to you!  You can use less or more vegetables to suit your preference...this is another simple recipe that will allow you to experiment in the kitchen..the kind of recipe that will make you a better cook!  

If you have any leftovers..this freezes well.  

As I am finishing up this post...Kyle walked by me and smiled...I asked how the soup tasted?  He said "It's probably the best you've ever made...thank you very much for making it..I could eat it every day of my life"

He loves me, and my chicken soup!!  <3



Enjoy,
Carrie




No comments:

Post a Comment