Image Map

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Publix and Chicken Tortilla Soup


The new Publix opened in Clarksville today.  Did any of you go?  My son thinks it is weird that the hospital he and I were both born in is now a grocery store.  I told him when he has his own children he can tell them he was born in a grocery store..he got a kick out of that.  We decided we would check out our new Publix after school today.  We needed some taco seasoning.  I was super pumped as we drove down the road with the store in sight.  Before I saw the store I saw the cars.  It appeared that everyone else in town had the same bright idea.  We drove right past Publix, and went to Kroger instead.  Maybe we will venture that way in a few days...or weeks.

 My son used to beg me to park the car closeby so he could watch the demolition of the hospital. We had lunch a few times in the parking lot across the street.  I am so glad we did because we have several terrific pictures.
(above right) This is the last picture I took, and all that was left before it was completely gone.
Trey had a friend on the demo crew, and got to pick out a few bricks as a souvenir.
(below) is an original brick from the hospital in the outside wall at Publix
(brick picture taken from Publix facebook page)


This picture I also found on the Publix fb page, of the new Clarksville store.










Chicken Tortilla Soup

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1-2 cans of mexi-corn. (I like a lot of corn in my tortilla soup so I use 2)
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 rotisserie chicken from the grocery deli, cut the breasts into bite size pieces
  • Optional ingredients:
  • crushed tortilla chips, or sliced corn tortilla
  • sliced avocado
  • shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • chopped green onions
  1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, taco seasoning, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer.
  3. Soup will be ready in 15 minutes, but as with any other soup I think that the longer it sits the better it tastes. I enjoy a rich soup that is to its full flavor potential. I leave this option up to you.
  4. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and garnish with your choice of tortilla, avocado slices, cheese, and/or chopped green onion.
This soup is quick to make, flavorful, and filling!  It is delicious even without toppings.  It also freezes well. Many times I have doubled the ingredients to make enough to freeze, or to share with others. There is nothing better than already having a delicious lunch or supper waiting for you behind your freezer door. Go ahead; try it, and stock your freezer with the leftovers...if there are any!!
Enjoy!
Carrie

 






3 comments: