Image Map

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cucumber Salad




I am so excited to share this recipe with you.  This cucumber salad has become a staple in my kitchen, and oddly enough my favorite time to eat it is for breakfast and/or a late night snack.  I am not a huge fan of cucumbers, so if you are one in the same please don't turn your nose up at this recipe..you have to trust me here guys, and at least give it a try.  I promise it is ahhmazing, refreshing, and the perfect dish to throw together to take to your summer cookouts, or just to have in your fridge.

Ingredients

4 cucumbers
1 small white onion
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
4 oz jar diced pimentos






Directions


Peel your cucumbers






You will want to slice the cucumbers as thinly as possible.  If you have a mandoline I would recommend using it for your slicing....if you don't have a mandoline..well, what are you waiting for?..Stop what you're doing and go get one like right now, or borrow one from your neighbor.  I can say that because my neighbor borrows mine...

You can find one just like mine at Target.  If you don't have a mandoline, that's fine too..as much as I love being in the kitchen I still prefer tools to help speed up the process of my prep time...

I used the lowest setting on mine, and as you can tell the cucumber slices are paper thin.






Now you might be wondering..really..do I need this many cucumbers??  
Yes, you do..but thanks for asking.



 



I used the same setting on the mandoline for my small white onion.  
I sliced the onion in half and let the mandoline take care of the rest.

If you are new to a mandoline (I seriously wonder how many times I can say mandoline in one post?) Anyway, please be careful..like I beg of you..I am already cringing at the thought of your injured phalanges... It is an extremely sharp tool, and by extremely sharp I mean you can slice all the way to your bone before you even realize what has happened.  I'm dead serious..Don't be too cool to use the guard that comes with it..especially when whatever you are slicing is almost gone and you are trying to get every last bit of it sliced.  I think my Mother is the only person I know that does not use the guard, ever, and I can't even watch..it makes me queasy...I have to turn my back, hold my breath, and squeeze my fingers tightly..

Clearly I have sliced mine...because, you guessed it... I was too cool to use the guard.

Safety first people...fingers are important, and no one likes blood in their cucumber salad.






In a medium-large-ish mixing bowl toss together the cucumbers and onions with the pimentos.  
I do not drain the pimentos.  Just dump it all in, and stir it all together.






In a saucepan combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar.  Bring to a boil.






Once your mixture is boiling, remove from the stove and pour over your cucumbers, onions and pimentos.  Stir all together, cover and refrigerate until cold.

Serve cold.






That's it folks, it really is that simple!




Enjoy,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment