Image Map

Friday, May 30, 2014

H54F plus Garden Week 4..


Hey, guys.  Your most favorite little entertaining blogger here.  You know, the one that wore her pants inside out for an entire day earlier in the week...not on purpose, by the way.. Yep, that's me.  I bet the guy behind me in line at the Post Office noticed.  You know, since when you're at the Post Office you're standing in line forEVER and you notice everything around you because you have nothing better to do for the next hour of your life.  It was so awesome..and by so awesome..I mean it wasn't awesome at all. I didn't realize until I was home that evening, and happened to walk by the mirror..checking myself out as I passed by..thinking "hey gurrll"..and stopped..thinking..wait, this shirt doesn't have a tag (I hate the side tags on shirts and cut them out), so I stopped..and it was the tag on my pants.  I wanted to cry...but instead I just looked at myself in the mirror..said "what an idiot" and laughed.  What else can ya do?  Sometimes I feel like my life is like an Alanis Morissette song..and then I think "isn't it ironic?".  Don't cha think?

And another thing...I have had it up to my eyeballs with teenagers...Mostly just mine, but still.  I feel I should take yet another opportunity to apologize to my Mom and Dad.  Because teenagers are not easy.  There's a lesson in this..I don't know if I will ever figure out what it is, or learn from it, but I feel there's a lesson..Maybe it's patience?  How to not commit a homicide?  It's funny how teenagers know everything...until...

<oh..and please be sure to read all teenager replies with major attitude, and a really stupid look on your face..it'll make it more realistic..>

Me - "What is this sticky stuff all over the kitchen floor?" 
Teenager - "I don't know" 

Me - "Why is the lawn chair in the living room?"
Teenager - "I don't know"
Me - "Are you being serious right now?"
Teenager - "What?  I needed a place to sit."
Me - <crickets chirping>
Teenager - <blank stares>

Me - "Why is the dog wearing my tank top?"
Teenager "I don't know"

Seriously?

Sometimes I feel like I live in the twilight zone.

So, our first market day was very successful..Of course we had no idea what to expect being on the vendor end of it, but I'd say that no one suspected we were first timers.  We went with the flow of things and had a great time. Oh....and we do accept credit and debit cards!!  I think Lynn and I both were suppressing our excitement with our first swipe!

We loved talking with the people..so come say hi!  It was so nice to see so many familiar, smiling faces.


 We are the second booth located on the first row..in between Grandma's Apron and Sylvia's New Mexican Salsa..  (they give generous samples of delicious bbq and the best fresh salsa ever..)




Tomorrow we will have fresh mint.. (cut today)




Green onions  (picked today)




Of course, more banana bread (baking now).  Yesterday someone called me and asked to hold four loaves for them..and I've even shipped some to Texas.. I'm telling you,  it's some good stuff..it's definitely the best around.  We will have samples tomorrow, so be sure to stop by before we run out!





and homemade honey citrus sugar scrub..
all natural ingredients and it makes your skin sooo dreamy soft.






After the market.. the rest of the day was filled with cat naps and laundry..then Sunday - Monday we went to the lake.





It was wonderful to lay on the dock and just soak up some sun.






The kids had a great time!






I have been wanting to pick fresh strawberries for weeks now, but never had the time.  One afternoon Trey and I drove out to the farm and I had him run in and get two gallons of pre-picked berries.  They were out of pre-picked, so we waited about 10 minutes for them to bring in fresh berries from the field.  Can't beat that!!  





I attempted to make strawberry fruit leathers using only the berries and some honey.  It was supposed to cook for 6 hours..the 6th hour was 11:30 that evening..and they weren't done.  I was sooo tired and had to get up early the next morning, so I set my alarm to wake me up every hour to check on them..Finally at 2:30 I took them out, and let them cool until I woke up for real at 5:30...The edges were great, but the middle was still wet.  Anyone have any luck with these?  I'm wondering if since I baked it on a stone, if that is why it cooked the way it did?  I don't know..next time I will try it in my dehydrator...

So happy to have a freezer full of strawberries!!




This is the first week that I've noticed growth on everything in my garden...I was ridiculously excited about it!

My grape tomatoes already look scrumptious..




I have a feeling these beef steak tomatoes are going to be huge!





So many beans...oh and by the way, remember a week or so ago when I was telling you that I had a random potato growing under the beans?  Umm..yeah..nothing random about it..they are growing where I planted them..oopsie..Yeah..I figured that out when the second plant emerged..So, I'm out there every day trying to keep the beans from choking out the potatoes.  





Those really big green leaves to the right are the potatoes...The beans are so viney I have to literally unwrap them from around the potato stems and wrap them around the trellis to train them to climb..It's frustrating because the bean vines are hanging on for dear life and I don't want to break anything...Besides that I can only imagine that the potatoes are choking to death and feel claustrophobic..I mean, wouldn't you?  Plants have feelings too...I would tell a joke about potatoes, but I don't know where to starch..





My corn is so pretty!!
Can't wait for some fresh Ambrosia!




This is my first time growing squash..Out of all the other plants, it is growing the fastest..  The leaves are huge..some are bigger than my head..





I already have  6 or 7 little baby squashes...





Both cucumber plants have several flowers, but I don't see the cucumbers budding just yet..it won't be long.  




I have one little baby cantaloupe growing...




baby sweet banana pepper...




baby jalapeno





Doesn't this lettuce just make your mouth water??





It's been a fantastic week in the garden..even out that the farm there has been major growth this week!!  So excited to be able to share our produce with you in the coming weeks..I think I'm the most excited to pick blackberries for the market!!





"There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling." - Mirabel Osler

Thanks for stopping by!


xo
Carrie


No comments:

Post a Comment