Image Map

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pigs in a Blanket - with a Twist



The other day I was listening to a daytime talk show while sitting at my computer working.  On the show they were sharing recipes for some Super Bowl Sunday goodies and this one caught my attention.

It seemed simple enough with just a handful of ingredients, so I decided I would give it a try.

Ingredients

fillo dough
kielbasa
spicy brown mustard
sauerkraut
olive oil
poppy seeds

preheat oven to 375


First I have to tell you that I ended up making this three times last night..I have never used fillo dough before, so I really didn't know what I was doing..At all. I could tell right away that me and fillo definitely were not going to be insta-friends..I ended up with a huge mess, and may or may not have thrown a ball of dough at my kitchen counter as hard as I could at least once..

But I didn't give up..

After only using one sheet of dough I came out with a ridiculously sticky mess that went straight into the trash...so then I tried 2 sheets..that was a little better. Then I read the directions on the fillo box (duh) and it recommended 4 sheets at a time.  It's never a bad idea to read the directions first..

At least use two..it wouldn't hurt to see how three or four turn out for you..

Cut your sheets into 3 x 3 squares
I used my pizza cutter





With a brush, swipe a layer of spicy brown mustard down the center.

I almost want to say this would be awesome-sauce if you substituted the mustard for some kind of horseradish sauce..if that's your sort of thing..I think it would give it just the right kick..
I will def try it next time.






Cut the Kielbasa and put in the middle of your square on top of the mustard.






Put about a teaspoon of sauerkraut on top of the sausage..

I will admit I am not a fan of sauerkraut...Perhaps I can blame my Mother for this for trying to force her Northern traditions on me since birth..When she makes it I turn up my nose at it..I just don't like it, so I was surprised that I wanted to give this a try..and I'm glad I did.  If you are also not a fan, don't let it discourage you.  The taste is very subtle in this recipe (which is why I think horseradish would be perfect). If someone else made these, I really don't think I would guess right away that it had sauerkraut in it.  

You should try new things!






This was the tricky part for me, but if you are experienced with fillo, then it should be a breeze for you.  To make it easier dab some water on each corner, which will help it stick together when the corners meet. 





Bring the corners together at the center to form a dumpling like bundle and pinch the edges to seal.






Spritz with olive oil and sprinkle with poppy seeds






Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.






You can use spicy brown mustard, or whatever sauce you decided to use on the inside, as a dipping sauce






These are pretty great and once you get past the fillo fiasco they don't take long at all.  You can easily make a big batch for your Super Bowl party and your people will love them!



Enjoy,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment