Image Map

Monday, December 10, 2012

Groove is in the Heart....



I love music, who doesn't, right? With music we can sit still, envision our future, travel back in time, go places we have never been, or to places we would rather be.  There is always a story to be told within a great song. Many years ago after I broke off my first serious "adult" relationship, I gave the guy a CD I had made. I titled it "All I Had to do was Write it in a Song" clearly I "borrowed" the title from Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I knew he would "get it" and understand exactly what I was trying to say, without having to put it into my own words...and with each song he would listen to my "letter" to him and eventually understand why I felt the need to end our relationship.  Not too long ago I told a girlfriend that we should dedicate an entire day of speaking to each other in song lyrics only...just to see if we could do it.  Sounds like fun, right...errr weird...whatever.  Each time I hear "Someone Like You" by Van Morrison I remember my first dance with Kyle at our wedding... and admittedly I giggle just a little remembering how we took dance lessons for an entire month, and still managed to fail miserably at trying to look like we knew what we were doing on the dance floor.  When I hear Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen I think of my childhood bff, and how I used to sing it to her on her answering machine every day one summer while she was on vacation because it was our song, and I missed her....A solo that you should be glad you missed...trust me! Creep by Radiohead makes me think of my bestie in Texas.  I smile..cry, but mostly laugh thinking of the last time we sang it together screaming it at the top of our lungs at two in the morning in her garage. Anything by Bush makes me think of my first ever rock concert, The Greenday Dookie album reminds me of Spring my Junior year of High school. Anytime I hear it I have the sudden urge to open the sun roof, roll down the windows, and crank up the volume... Pearl Jam always reminds me of the beach. Since I decided to take up running this year I have put some serious thought into my running playlist. It cannot be filled with just any random songs.  I chose songs that give me road rage... Not the kind you get from being behind the wheel, but the kind you get while your running shoes are pounding the pavement. The kind of music that def makes you not want to sit still... I always time my runs, and if its a really good song I always beat my own record.  I've asked my other runner friends what their favorite running songs are.  I always consider their suggestions. I listen to the songs and if it doesn't make me want to jump up and down/clap/skip/ get motivated..then I cannot run to it. Everyone says the Rocky theme pushes them through, and to be quite honest it instantly gives me a headache and makes me want to bang my head against the wall. So, since I have my playlist that I pretty much stick to religiously I thought I would share it with you.  During my run is the only time of day that my mind is completely clear. I'm not thinking about the email I have yet to respond to...I'm not thinking about my appointments for the day, or what should go on my grocery list. It's just me, my music, the ground below me, and the sky above me....

  1. Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers
  2. Word Up - Korn
  3. Circus - Brittney Spears
  4. Somewhere I Belong - Linkin Park
  5. These Days - Dr. Dog
  6. Lose Yourself - Eminem
  7. Under Pressure - Queen/David Bowie
  8. Honky Tonk Women - The Rolling Stones
  9. Jealous Again - The Black Crowes
  10. Hurt Me Tomorrow - K'nnan
  11. Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
  12. Cupid's Chokehold - Gym Class Heroes
  13. Shake That - Eminem
  14. More than a Feeling - Boston
  15. Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit
  16. Malibu - Hole
  17. Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne
  18. Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine
  19. Numb - Linkin Park
  20. SOS - Rihanna
  21. Take Me Home Tonight - Eddie Money
  22. Mother - Danzig
  23. Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones
  24. In the End - Linkin Park
What is your favorite go-to running song?


Whether you are already active, or need that extra umph to get moving... I hope at least a few of these songs will get you motivated to lace up those sneaks...get outside, and move!!


xo
Carrie



No comments:

Post a Comment