Image Map

Friday, July 4, 2014

High Five for Friday


Hey, hey!  While trying to decide what to write about this week, I realized that I have done four things here lately that I've never done before.  Nothing major, but nonetheless, new to me..  So, I'll start there and go in order.

 I knew while I was on my summer vacation I wanted to find a race to get into while I was traveling.  I was bummed when I couldn't find one in South Carolina the week I would be there, so I started looking for one on the way...

There just happened to be a trail race on the outskirts of Asheville the weekend I would be traveling through.  So, I checked into it..a 5k trail race in Swannanoa, North Carolina between Black Mountain and the Blue Ridge Mountains.  After doing a little more research on the area I was completely sold and registered for the race almost immediately.

After checking-in at our hotel room we ventured out to pick up our race packets, then we went to find the location of the race.  It was breathtakingly beautiful, which made me want to explore.  I turned down unmarked gravel roads, followed all the curves in the road anticipating what would be around the next corner.

This is a picture of the sun setting that night.

The mountains are so lovely..many times I found myself day dreaming of what it would be like to live there.




So, rise and grind it was finally race day...I was pumped up and ready to take on whatever these hills had in store for me.




All downhill and flat for the first mile..I was even two minutes under my usual time.  I was killing it..and then I had that light bulb moment...Am I going to have to run back up everything I just ran down?





Well, no..much worse.  Oh my gosh.  This was by far the hardest thing I have ever done running wise..At this point I couldn't see anyone in front of me.  I knew there were still people behind me, but they were still so far back I couldn't see them.  I was talking to myself..more like reassuring myself that I wasn't going to die..here..in the middle of this mountain...I convinced myself that my legs wouldn't give up on me no matter how much my head was trying to tell me that they were dunzo..I was like "you are doing this..you are rocking this and you will finish this"!! 





and I'm not going to lie..there were two parts I remember having to walk up the hills..and I sooo hated doing it..but I remembered a conversation with a friend that told me to keep a comfortable pace uphills..I just kept repeating that to myself over and over..and next to crawling up the hill, my comfortable pace was walking... 

Everything was so beautiful...I just couldn't get over it.  I think the beauty of it took away my desire to fall over and roll back down the hill.

Finally I saw another human..a tall, grey headed man standing at the top of the hill.  I was so happy to see him. I just wanted to run up and give him a hug...then he began cheering me on, telling me I was at the top...that I can do this .. and that it was all good from here to the finish line.  As soon I heard those words coming out of his mouth I gave a thumbs up, thought to myself that yes, I can do this...then gave it all I had left.. I ran my little heart out until my feet finally crossed the finish line.





So, despite that grueling second mile I never did give up, and I never wanted to..I don't guess..There were a few minutes where it was questionable as to whether or not my judgement was clear, but the point is..I didn't give up...It always feels awesome when you cross the finish line, but this particular race had me feeling all sorts of emotions..I was super proud of myself, and felt like I could do anything..  It was a pretty amazing experience that I would do again in a heartbeat!

Isn't it funny how after you finish a race, no matter how hard it was..as soon as you cross the finish line...well...errr..rewind..in this instance..about 10 minutes after you cross the finish line you're ready to run again!!






So, after a quick change/cleanup I was back on the road and five hours later I was in beach bum mode for the next seven days.






 I found a yoga studio that offered yoga classes on the beach in the mornings.




As soon as I arrived one of the first things I did was sign up for a class.
It was super relaxing, and I so needed it. 




Laying in savasana while listening to the waves crash...amazing!





The instructor, as well as the other people in the class were so fun..I'm so glad that I ventured out on my own to do something I love in a new place.





I got up a few times to watch the sun rise.  Sunrises and sunsets are easily two of my favorite things to watch these days.





I convinced Trey to go on a beach run with me one morning.  I only wanted to run at dawn, and once he realized how early it actually was he was so not wanting to go, but he was a good sport and went anyway. I love early mornings with him.  





This was seen on one of my morning runs.





Another morning run picture.  I don't know them, but watching the guy play with his dog made me smile thinking of how much my dogs would love to play on the beach.  The dog was so happy having the best time playing in the water.  It turned out to be one of my favorites pictures.




Trey snapped this of me and I l.o.v.e it!!  I'm convinced that if I had access to a beach on the daily, I would for sure have some killer legs.  Beach miles go by way faster than road miles and they do some serious work on your legs!  <3




This was the prefect spot to have breakfast in the mornings.  Mango, strawberries and bananas never tasted so good!




My little buddy got his first truck. sniff sniff..He had no idea, and I couldn't wait for him to see it.  His reaction to it brought me to tears, and he had tears rolling too..  Of course me more than him.. his tears were more happy tears..mine were too of course, but mixed with Mom tears, and "how can he only be months away from driving" tears.




I helped Lynn and Catie pick blackberries for the market.





If you know me, then you know I am terrified of snakes.  I tried really hard to not even pay attention to the ground.  I figured it I didn't see it I would live.  I warned everyone that if I did see one I would probably scare them, and the snake because I would scream, run, then a bowl full of blackberries would probably go flying in the air.  I think I need a whistle...you know, to let the snakes know I'm coming...




Since I didn't have a whistle I just stomped the ground and announced myself every time I stepped out of the gator. I must have scared them all away.. ;-)




We picked three big bowls of wild berries...






They are so sweet and delicious!!






I had a pretty decent harvest this week.  Everything in the grass had to be tossed out because it was too ripe...I have a huge job this week in the garden.  I definitely took way too much time off and it shows.




Kayla and I took our first Barre class yesterday..it totally kicked our butts..big time!!  Barre combines yoga, pilates and ballet moves to basically strengthen and lengthen your muscles.  I'm going to say it targets all of your muscles, including the ones you forgot you had.  It was pretty intense..  I love working up a sweat, and pushing myself.. feeling the burn , and having the good kind of sore muscles.  Have you ever ridden a bicycle for like three hours straight?  I haven't either, but I have ridden one for an hour straight, and you know how your legs feel when you walk for the first time after riding?  During Barre your arms and your legs begin to feel like that.  About 10 minutes after class I called Kayla and was like "I'm pretty sure it's not safe for me to be driving at this point" She said "my arm keeps falling of the steering wheel."  I said "omg I have floppy arms too."  We couldn't stop laughing.  I'm not kidding.  It was brutal, but seriously the best kind of brutality.  I can't wait to sign up for the next class!  There is only one place in town that offers Barre classes and the studio is super cute!! Those gliding boards were so fun!!




I snuck out of town again... This morning Trey and I are going on an Independence Day kayak adventure. 





Thanks for stopping by to read about my week..Hope you all have a fun, safe, wonderful weekend!!

Happy Birthday America!


xo
Carrie




No comments:

Post a Comment