Image Map

Friday, January 17, 2014

French Onion Soup - Crock Pot Recipe



Ahhh, yes..if I have a love for any soup it is most def French Onion Soup.  I found this recipe from how sweet it is blog and made very few changes.  It was near perfect already! 

I love it so much that I feel like behaving like a child and blowing bubbles on the rim of the bowl..You know, like you did when you were a toddler ..to your milk, and your Mom fussed at you?  I will blow bubbles in a hot steamy bowl of FO soup any day of the week.  Not really, I do have manners, I promise..but now you understand my ridiculous level of fondness for this soup and my absurd urge to motorboat it. 






But, in all seriousness..something covered with a slice of bread, smothered with ooey gooey, melted/crispy on the edges, cheese...is nothing short of amazing.





*bonus, bonus* ...beer is also involved.

You know that country song..

God is great, beer is good, bread is better??
Oh, wait..I guess that's not exactly how it goes..




Ingredients

4 medium sweet onions - thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves - minced (I used 6)
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
8 ounces beer (I used Newcastle brown ale - see picture above)
64 oz beef stock
2 tablespoons fresh thyme (I used more)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
french bread
Gruyere cheese - sliced

Serves 8-10


Turn your crock pot on high while you slice your onions.  

Bless your heart..it's ok to cry.  It happens. Nothing but a thing.

Add onions, garlic, brown sugar, butter, salt and balsamic vinegar to the pot.

Stir together until well combined.






Cover and let cook for 60 minutes.

Stir occasionally, until onions are slightly caramelized and a little brown on the edges.  

Now add in flour, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.  

Add beer, beef stock, thyme and pepper.  

Turn the heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.






Before serving, slice bread.  

Fill soup bowl to the top, cover with the bread and a slice of cheese.





Set under the broiler for a few minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
Please be careful because it will be extremely hot!!




Love at first bite



Enjoy,
Carrie








2 comments:

  1. The soup is not hard to make, it is just time consuming. Good to know that I can cook it with crock-pot. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rachel...I hope you enjoy the soup! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete