Image Map

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Creamy Confetti Corn



This is a regularly requested recipe for Sunday dinner with the fam.  We call it "fancy corn."  So, when my Mother asks me to make corn, I say "fancy corn, or regular corn?"  Years, and years ago my cousin, Lynn, made this and we all loooved it. Basically anything Lynn makes is fab-u-lous, and to be quite honest a lot of my favorite recipes I got from her. After finally asking her for the recipe; I was delighted to discover that I already had the recipe in my Southern Living 2002 Annual Recipe book. It is so easy to make, and to say it is amazingly delicious..is far from exaggeration!





Ingredients
8 bacon slices, chopped
4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (about 8 ears, or one family sized bag of frozen corn)
1 medium - size white onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper








Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon , and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet. 


Set bacon aside

*** I prefer not to chop the bacon, but rather crumble it after it cools.  It is less time consuming, and not as messy as cooking chopped bacon.





Saute' corn, onion, and bell peppers in hot drippings in skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes, or until tender.










 Add cream cheese and half-and-half, stirring until cream cheese melts.


*** Milk can certainly be used as a substitution, but it is best with half-and-half.







 Stir in sugar, salt, and pepper.

***  Be sure you do this as your very last step..I like to stir these ingredients in about 5 minutes or so before serving.






Top with bacon




Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 22 minutes
Makes 6-8 generous servings

I hope you love this recipe as much as we do.  Please comment on my blog after you try it, and let me know what you think!


Enjoy!
Carrie



3 comments:

  1. Oh, my mouth is watering! I wish I had this waiting for me at home! Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this corn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Thanks Carrie! My absolute favorite way to fix corn.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete