Image Map

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Banana Bread

Banana Bread
A Cook Family Tradition





This is one of my favorite recipes in my growing collection. My Mother passed it down to me several years ago, and I have enjoyed making it since. In fact, I often buy extra bananas just so we won't eat them, but so that I can bake bread instead. I make it quite often; especially for family get-togethers, to give as gifts, to say thank you, to send with my husband to share with his co-workers, or just to have in the kitchen for my own family to enjoy. I especially make them each Christmas. Either a mini loaf, or a regular loaf..they present themselves as quite a nice little package all dressed up with a bow. It is easy enough to make that my son baked a loaf for the 4H bread baking contest in his 5th grade class...bringing home the blue ribbon. I contemplated sharing it with all of you. After all, it is one of my signature recipes...it's something my family, and my friends look forward to me sharing. I promised when I started my blog that I would share things that are just too good to keep all to myself. We all need something to do with our ripe bananas anyway, right?




Ingredients
2/3 cup shortening
2-2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup water
3-1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda

1-1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
4 or more ripe bananas
Directions

Cream shortening and sugar




Blend in eggs, bananas, and water





In another mixing bowl stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves together





Gradually mix into banana mixture





If you want to add nuts, this would be the time to fold them into the mixture. I never add nuts.


Pour into well greased loaf pans, filling each pan a little less than 3/4 full










This recipe will make 3-4 regular loaves, or 6-8 mini loaves

Set on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until a cake tester is inserted and comes out clean.

The bread should be brown in color, and split in the middle as it rises. The more you bake the more you will be able to gauge how it should look when it is ready to be pulled from the oven. You will also learn that adding a heaping scoop of your cinnamon or cloves isn't a bad thing. The recipe is perfect the way it is, but don't ever be afraid to add a little more flavor to any recipe. Make it yours!









I think the bread is most flavorful the 2nd day. You can warm in the microwave, toaster, or eat at room temperature. I enjoy it at room temperature...with or without butter.





Enjoy!
Carrie


Thank you for taking the time to leave a question or comment.


\

3 comments:

  1. I love it toasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm.....that looks so good! Friday is my favorite day because I know you are going to write something fabulous and you never disappoint! Now, if you could just bake that wonderful banana bread and deliver....that would really make my day! I promise to make it worth your trip, we will shop until we drop! Oh, and Kyle will probably want to come along!!! I miss you both and kiss little Trey for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frannie is going to love you even more than he already does! He has been begging me for...probably years, to bake him some banana bread. I always tell him I can't because I don't have a good recipe. Your recipes never let me down so I know this will be delish! I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete