Image Map

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole - A Crock Pot Recipe



My very first blog post was a double recipe post that included a recipe for hash brown casserole.  It has been a while since I made that recipe..well, to be exact it was December 24, 2012.  I remember the date because it was an awful day in my life to be a casserole.  

The three of us went to the Kennedy's for Christmas Eve dinner.  Kyle's Aunt told me to make any side I wanted, so I asked him what he would like me to make, and I rolled with it.  It just so happened that his cousin's wife, Na'Kita, also made hash brown casserole.  Don't you hate it when that happens?  Apparently, communication is not my strongest suit because this happens with my family all the time. At dinner I got a spoonful of Na'Kita's casserole as well as mine.  Hers was sooo good..like dee-licious, and mine was terrible.  I'm talking..nothing good about it.  It sucked.  I rarely, if ever, make food that sucks, so I worried about this for weeks...months even..ok, obviously years, since I'm talking about it now, and I confess that sometimes it crosses my mind when I lay in bed at night. The struggle is real, people.  It was so embarrassing..I mean, I wasn't necessarily embarrassed that I goofed on the recipe, just mostly that his family must think that I'm the worst cook ever, especially since this is something I'm actually good at, and I failed.  For the longest time I couldn't figure out what in world went wrong..Then one day it hit me that I had forgotten to add the cheese.  Like the main ingredient..of all things..the glue that holds it all together..and I forgot it.

I banned that mean ol' hash brown recipe from my book. Clearly, it was the casseroles fault, so I had to find a new one.  My Mother and Lynn both make this recipe often, and there are never any leftovers. The recipe is originally from Six Sisters Stuff, with minimal modifications, and if you follow them then you know they only share the goodness.

Crock Pot Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole




Ingredients

 1 32 oz package frozen hash browns
2 cups shredded cheddar
16 oz sour cream
1 10.75oz can cream of chicken soup
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Yields 8-10 servings


Directions

Spray crock pot with nonstick spray.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients until evenly coated.  Pour the mixture into your crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until the onions are soft.

The end...

Easy cheesy, right!?



This is seriously so creamy and delicious!  It's perfect for Thanksgiving, a holiday brunch, or just to warm your soul with some southern comfort food on these cold nights!





Just don't forget the cheese!!


Enjoy,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment